Due to the change in Apple's review guidelines in early 2018, you now need your own Apple Developer account to publish a branded event app to the App Store. An alternative to publishing to the App Store is setting up a "private distribution" using an Apple Enterprise Developer Account.
This method of distribution allows the app to be available for download via a private link for both iOS and Android devices. In compliance with Apple's terms, this method of distribution should only be used for events within your organization.
In order to distribute your app privately, your organization will need an Apple Enterprise developer account. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- The Apple Enterprise developer account carries a yearly fee of $299.
- After installing the app through the private link each iPhone user will need to follow the steps in this article. Android users will need to follow the steps prompted on their phone.
- The Apple Enterprise developer account only includes Private Distribution of apps. It does not include the ability to publish event apps publicly to the App Store. Please refer to this article if you need to publish a fully branded event app to the public App Store.
The purpose of this article is to guide you through the sign-up process which consists of three key steps:
- Enroll in the Apple Enterprise Developer Program.
- Grant Attendify access to your Apple Enterprise Developer Account.
- Add the details about your developer account to your Attendify dashboard
Step 1: Enroll in the Apple Enterprise Developer Program
To enroll in an Apple Developer Enterprise Program, your organization must be a legal entity so that it can enter into contracts with Apple.
- First, you'll need an Apple ID. If you do not have one, you can go here to create one. An Apple ID is needed to use Apple Services and you won't be able to proceed without one.
- Next, you need to enroll in the Apple Enterprise Developer Program. To enroll in an Apple Developer Enterprise Program, your organization must be a legal entity to so that it can enter into contracts with Apple. Your organization must have a D-U-N-S Number so that Apple can verify your organization’s identity and legal entity status. You can learn how to get a D-U-N-S number, here. You will be entering into an agreement with Apple, so you must have the ability to sign on behalf of your organization.
- To begin enrolling in the Apple Enterprise Developer Program proceed to this page and login with your Apple ID.
- After logging in you will be prompted to agree to the Apple Developer Agreement. From there check the box and proceed to the next page.
- Next, you will select "Join the Apple Enterprise Developer Program"
Step 2: Grant Attendify Access to your Apple Enterprise Developer Account
- From your Apple Developer console under People > Invitations. Send an invitation to Attendify Team with admin rights to email@example.com. Please keep in mind that you can revoke our access at any time.
Step 3: Add your Apple Developer Account details to your Attendify dashboard
The last step is to add the details about your Apple Enterprise Developer Account to your Attendify dashboard. For this, just follow the instructions in this article.