Due to the change in Apple's review guidelines in early 2018, you need your own Apple Developer account to publish a branded event app to the App Store. An alternative to publishing to the App Store is setting up a "private distribution" using an Apple Enterprise Developer Account.
This method of distribution allows the app to be available for download via a private link for both iOS and Android devices. In compliance with Apple's terms, this method of distribution should only be used for events within your organization.
In order to distribute your app privately, your organization will need an Apple Enterprise developer account. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- The Apple Enterprise Developer Account carries a yearly fee of $299.
- After installing the app through the private link each iPhone user will need to follow the steps in this article. Android users will need to follow the steps prompted on their phone.
- The Apple Enterprise Developer Account only includes Private Distribution of apps. It does not include the ability to publish event apps publicly to the App Store. Please refer to this article if you need to publish a fully branded event app to the public App Store.
Steps to set up your Apple Enterprise Developer Account:
Enroll in the Apple Enterprise Developer Program:
Note that your organization must be a legal entity so that it can enter into contracts with Apple, to enroll in an Apple Developer Enterprise Program.
- First, you'll need an Apple ID. If you do not have one, you can go here to create one. An Apple ID is needed to use Apple Services and you won't be able to proceed without one.
- Next, to enroll in an Apple Developer Enterprise Program, your organization must have a D-U-N-S Number so that Apple can verify your organization’s identity and legal entity status. You can learn how to get a D-U-N-S number, here. You will be entering into an agreement with Apple, so you must have the ability to sign on behalf of your organization.
- To begin enrolling in the Apple Enterprise Developer Program proceed to this page and login with your Apple ID.
- After logging in you will be prompted to agree to the Apple Developer Agreement. From there check the box and proceed to the next page.
- Next, you will select "Join the Apple Enterprise Developer Program"
Grant Attendify Access to your Apple Enterprise Developer Account
Open your Apple Developer console and navigate to the People > Invitations area. From there, you will send an invitation with admin-level rights to firstname.lastname@example.org. As well as access to developer resources (certificates, identifiers, and profiles). Please keep in mind that you can revoke our access at any time.
Add your Apple Developer Account details to your Attendify dashboard
The last step is to add the details about your Apple Enterprise Developer Account to your Attendify dashboard. For this, just follow the instructions in this article.
If you have any questions about this or didn't find an answer, please contact our support team via chat on any Attendify webpage or send an email at email@example.com